Market Place West

Market Place White Horse c1903

The west side of the Market Place c.1903. From left, the White Lion public house, Southern’s Chemist, the Co-op store and Colledge’s furniture shop.

Holmes, the landlord of the White Swan (far left), arrived after 1903, so must have been newly-arrived at the time the photograph was taken. He took over from Noah Johnson, who had held the license for nearly 40 years.

Southern’s Chemist had previously been Kiddy and Ashton’s, and had been a druggist’s shop since before 1835. The Co-operative Store next door had opened in September 1896, taking on the former Bakewell Brothers grocery shop.

Replacing the earlier Waterloo House, the new 1902 building on the Church Street junction was set further back than its predecessor, making access easier to Chesterfield Road. It was immediately taken on by Colledges, who have been there ever since.

In the distance the tower of St Peter’s Church still has its pinnacles – they were all later removed after one toppled off during a fire in the tower, in March 1949.