Belper Historical Society has a collection of local artefacts, some of which have been rescued by members, others which have been donated to the society.
This page is a work in progress to show many of the artefacts in our collection.
If you have any further information on the following artefacts, please contact the Society. We would love to find out more about them.
Belper water works plaque
A brass plaque in a glazed wooden frame. It records the generosity of both George Henry and George Herbert Strutt in funding the works at the Meadows Pumping Station and at Bessyloan reservoir.
Alfred Burkinshaw glass bottles
Two rectangular clear glass bottles with ‘California Fig Syrup Co. San Francisco, Cal.’ moulded into the glass. One labelled ‘Pecacuanha Wine. Alfred Burkinshaw, Market Place, Belper’; the other labelled ‘Eucalyptus Oil. Burkinshaw, Chemist, Belper.’
Model of Fleet Girl's School
A pottery model of Fleet Girls and Infants School, Holbrook Road, Belper on a separate beige ‘paved’ base plate. The school is L-shaped in dark brown brick with a black roof. The windows and doors have rectangular holes to show light from two candles which can be placed inside.
Match Box Holder
A match box holder made of enamelled steel sheet. The background is cream; one face shows the Sherwood Foresters regimental badge and the other has a portrait with the words ‘With compliments from Thomas Alton, Thorne Tree Inn, Belper’. The edge has ‘Good luck and Best Wishes Offilers noted Ales, Wines, Spirits and Cigars’ written in red.
St Laurence Convent
A fine china plate with centre decorated with a view of the north elevation of St Laurence Convent in Field Lane, broad rim in black with gilded leaf decoration. There is a brief history of the convent on the back.
Also a white earthenware, glazed mug bearing the same illustration.
Handmade wooden box with wall mounting but no front.
It contains two wooden vertical shafts with 8 sided numbered black blocks. The numbers are hand painted in white.
There are 6 indicators on the right hand shaft each separated by washers. The left hand shaft has one indicator.
A label reads ‘Found in West Mill’.
China Moustache Cup
A white china moustache cup with handle. The transfer is a scene of ‘Bandstand and Fountain Belper River Gardens’. You can also see the Swiss Tea Rooms. A green band decorates the top with a gold flower design.
Thought to have been produced during the heyday of the River Gardens between 1906 and 1914.