Hunter's Shop King Street

Hunter’s grocery shop on King Street c.1899, shortly before it was demolished as part of a road-widening scheme. New shops were already being built to the new alignment further up the road.

From the Belper Historical Society Collection

Just above the roofline of these three shops you can see two gables belonging to the new Tower Buildings, a terrace of buildings between the Paddock (later the Memorial Gardens) and the newly-created Strutt Street. They took their name from the new tower which would be built above the end unit on the junction with the new street. Hunter’s moved into that unit when it was completed, and were still there after the Second World War.

The large arched window looking down over the Paddock belongs to the Public Hall. Built in 1882 it had been set back from the road, so the Paddock wall and Tower Buildings were taken back to align with the Public Hall and allow the widening of this main shopping street.