Market Place Monument
Erecting the monument, 1881, in thanks to George Henry Strutt for paving the Market Place. It was supposed to be a drinking fountain, but was never plumbed in.
From the Belper Historical Society Collection
Belper Market Place was once the village green. After the town market was established on the site, the green became very brown as it was heavily used. George Henry Strutt decided to improve things by paving it all in stone, so that markets could be held in all weather without impacting on stallholders or shoppers.
In gratitude to George Henry, the people of Belper raised the money for a memorial to be built by public subscription. Here it is being installed in 1881.
Behind the installers are the Cross Keys and Black Swan public houses, and, on the left, J. Alvey offered ‘hot peas and chip potatoes every night at 7pm’.