Bridge Street pre 1912
Bridge Street, before 1912. The Castle and Beehive Inns faced each other from across the road
This north-facing view is before the building of the East Mill, which began in September 1911. On the left, with the large glass frontage, is J M Pym and Sons’ Furniture Showroom – the furniture was built in a factory behind the shop. Next to it, another Pym specialised in the selling of wine, some of which was bought by the Strutt family. An arch between the two shops allowed carts to access the rear of the buildings. Beyond the Derwent Street junction, The Castle Inn had earlier been called The Alma after the 1854 Battle of Alma during the Crimean War.
On the right are the buildings of 1852 which formed an archway into Wellington Court. Stewart Gibson owned the shop obscured by the awnings on this sunny summer day. It was a stationers, printers and bookbinders. Behind it is the Bee-hive Inn. The Bee-hive first turns up on Bridge Street in 1862, run by John White. It was still operating under Agnes Yeomans, until at least 1903. There’s no indication of it being a public house after that time.