Marching Band
A 1950s carnival band passes (from left) the Rose and Crown Public House, the Palace Cinema, Woolworths and Leslie’s Cafe.
From the Belper Historical Society Collection
From the 1920s until the end of the 20th century, annual carnivals were held in or near Belper, often attracting numerous marching bands who would compete on the field. This scene at the bottom of King Street sees a band heading towards the carnival field on the Meadows by the river.
Also featured are, from left to right:
- The Rose and Crown Public House, after its rebuild between the wars. It is now Boots the Chemist.
- The Palace Cinema of 1912, one of the earliest businesses in the town to have electrical lighting, thanks to a generator in the back yard – it was demolished for the creation of Belper’s first supermarket, Fine Fare, in 1963.
- Woolworths arrived after the Second World War, and was a popular addition to the high street until the company went into receivership in 2008. It is now Iceland.
- The Leslie’s Café building dates back to about 1890 and had been at different times a photographer’s studio and shoe shop. It is fondly remembered for its comforting frothy Horlicks or a milk shake after a trip to the dentist on Chapel Street. The high red plastic stools by the counter were popular with children. It closed in the 1980s and was redeveloped in 2000.